Monday, January 28, 2008

Name of the Church, pt. 2

I already wrote a post about the real name of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but there's a couple other things I want to bring up. I failed to mention in my last post that the Church's style guide for journalists specifically requests that the Church not be called the "Mormon Church." It also asks that "LDS Church" and "Church of the Latter-day Saints" not be used. While I can understand use of "LDS Church," since the acronym is so prevalent, I'm been surprised in my recent news searches to see articles calling the Church the "Church of Latter-day Saints." Doing this presents it as the official name of the church, which it is not, and, by removing the name of the Savior, seems to reinforce the bias that we aren't Christians. I'd like to know why this happens--are the journalists just trying to save some space? I understand that mistakes happen, but with the Church being the fourth-largest denomination in the U.S., you'd think that writers and editors could put more effort into doing some background research and getting things right.

No comments: